FORT MOHAVE–A blaze that destroyed two homes and damaged two others in Fort Mohave last Wednesday reportedly started after an electrical issue in the garage.

Fort Mojave Mesa Fire Battalion Chief Jody Hall told The Bee there was no evidence of any wrong doing and the fire was accidental.

The fire started at 4500 block of Calle Valle Vista at 8:44 p.m. Wednesday and quickly spread to a home in the 4500 block of Calle Esperanza. Both homes were destroyed by the fast moving flames. Two structures nearby sustained minor damage.

Hall said a witness reported the fire started prior to reports of explosions.

“The explosions they heard were probably propane tanks, tires and pressurized items that were on the property,” said Hall. “It was not the start of the fire.”

Both fire locations were quickly attacked by multiple responding firefighters, who were able to get the fire under control around 10:30 p.m. The fire was completely extinguished around 1 a.m.

Mohave Electric Cooperative was dispatched to the scene after a transformer blew.

“The fire had burned the pole and that caused the transformer to blow and fall off the pole,” said Hall.

One ladder, four engines, a rehab unit, two fire chiefs, one ambulance, a ladder tender and four Mohave County Sheriff’s deputies at the scene. Agencies assisting at the fire included Bullhead City Fire and Mohave Valley Fire.

No injuries were reported, said Hall.

Photo courtesy of Peebles Milbrandt